Feature Book of the Week/Jump the Cracks by Stacy DeKeyser

Tuesday, November 2, 2010



FEATURE BOOK OF THE WEEK

What would you do?
As far as I'm concerned, there's no excuse not to be decent...Especially when you're responsible for a kid. 



It just figures that fifteen-year old Victoria's dad fails once again to be at the train station like he's promised. Fuming, Victoria watches as a teen mom stashes her bruised little boy in the train's bathroom. When the mom gets off the train alone, Victoria decides she has had it with all the poor excuses who call them selves parents. Making a split-second decision, Victoria boards the next train out of town-taking the little boy with her. 

No, really, what would you do? Victoria's staying on the run until everyone responsible starts keeping their promises. This kid's not falling through the cracks. Not on her watch. (Publisher's summary from Powell's Books)

GUEST POST  BY STACY DEKEYSER

One of the best things about having a book published is hearing from readers. The question I’m asked most often about Jump the Cracks is: “What happens after the book ends?”

At first this question surprised me, and I wasn’t sure how to answer it, because (of course) I think the ending is perfect the way it is. But the more I thought about it, the more I decided that it’s a great question, because it means you got so wrapped up in the story that you kept thinking about it after you finished reading. I like that.

But I suppose, since so many of you have asked, you deserve an answer. What DOES happen after the pages of the book close? Does Wills grow up happy? Who raises him? Will Victoria ever see him again?

I have a confession to make: Originally, I wrote a different ending. An ending that answers all of those questions, without any doubt. I tied the story up in a neat little bow.

And then I changed it.

Because the thing is, when you’re writing a story for readers who are smart enough to think about what they’re reading, it’s not fair to do the thinking for them. So I changed the ending for a couple of reason

1. A “neat” ending wouldn’t have fit the story. After all, Jump the Cracks is about a bunch of imperfect people trying hard to do their best (well, most of them, anyway). It wouldn’t have made sense to end the story with everyone suddenly perfect and doing all the right things.

2. The open ending allows each reader to imagine his or her own perfect ending—whatever that might be.

Think of it as one of those “You decide” stories.

Are you a sucker for a happy ending? The possibilities are there, at the end of Jump the Cracks, for a perfect, storybook ending. All you have to do is fill in the blanks.

Or maybe you like your stories gritty and more true-to-life. The possibilities for that type of ending are also there, in the story. Just fill in the blanks.

It’s completely up to you. You are free to imagine what happens after the book ends. And whatever you imagine, that is the right ending.





MORE ABOUT STACY 

As a teenager, I was not incredibly popular or unpopular. I was one of that vast group of invisible, semi-geeky (i.e. normal) people. I wore braces. Twice. I did not make the cut for cheerleader. I warmed the bench for my softball team. Which was probably just as well, since I liked the library better anyway.

Even though I am now Grown Up, I still feel pretty much like the semi-geeky teenager I used to be.

Except when I write. When I write I feel beautiful and graceful. (Authos Bio from Stacy De Keyser's Blog)


I want to thank Stacy for sharing more about her book Jump the Cracks with us.

1 Delicious Comments:

Anonymous said...

Stacy......you did so amazing on this book! Hope to see you at the book battle competition!!! (-:

 
Design by Use Your Imagination Designs All images from the Keeper Of Time kit by Studio Gypsy